“I could never be like that”. “I wish I could be like that”. Ever said those statements or something similar?
Most know there are some basic principles that will help you if you want to be healthy:
- Burn more calories than you take in.
- Discipline your body to move three to four times a week with some sort of exercise.
It is common in life to think that being fit is only for a few. I don’t think it is much different in the Christian life regarding being godly. Often being godly is thought of as only for the Billy Graham or Mother Teresa types. It is easy to think I could never be like them.
The problem with this type of thinking is it is contrary to what God’s Word teaches. The Bible clearly commands us to live godly. Would God ask you to do something that is impossible? He has already equipped you. He has also asked us to discipline ourselves to be godly. (I Tim 4:7).
Since God has commanded us to live godly here are some practical tips to help you get started:
- Set aside time each day to spend time with God. (in the morning, noon or night, doesn’t matter, just make time).
- Use spare time during your day (driving, standing in line, waiting in traffic, break at work) to pray, sing or memorize Scripture.
- Find a training buddy who will get serious with you.
- Cut out one activity that is hurting your walk with God.
Read 2 Peter 1:3 to find your confidence. God has given you everything you need to live godly.