I am one-hundred percent for free speech. I’m the first to say we need to toughen up a bit! We are an emotionally fragile society. We live in an ultra sensitive world where people get their feelings hurt way to easy. We are told that words don’t matter and you have the right to say whatever you want. But, let’s not kid ourselves, words have enormous power.
As a Christian, I have said things I regret and as I mature I am continually aware of the power of my words. God’s Word is truth. We should care what it says. There is a lot on this topic! Here is a quick, very clear summary:
• Death and life are in the power of the tongue
• Let no corrupt talk come from your mouth
• One day each will give an account for every careless word spoken
• A soft answer turns away an angry person
• Whoever watches his mouth keeps himself from trouble
• Guard your mouth and preserve your life
• A gentle word is like a good fruit
• There is more hope for a fool than one who is hasty with his mouth
• Whoever retrains his mouth is prudent
• Do not curse them who persecute you
• Do not talk smack about your neighbor
• Set a guard over your mouth
• Only God gives the spirit of self control
• Your tongue is small but it boasts and can cause huge problems
• Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise
• He who closes his mouth is deemed intelligent
Wow! And there are many more verses if you want to dig deep. God help me guard my tongue. Help me not to buy into the worldly philosophy that I can just say whatever I want, when I want.
Words do matter to the God follower.